Thieves Strike in Science Library
On Tuesday, March 25, two students' laptops were reported missing in the Science Library. The incidents occurred approximately at 10 p.m. when two students stepped away from their desks. Upon returning after a few minutes, the students found that their laptops were gone. After discovering this, they immediately reported the incidents to Public Safety. The laptops have not been recovered as of late and are under the presumption of theft.
Barbara Merolli, the Science Librarian in the O'Callahan Science Library, urges students "not to leave valuables unattended at all. It only takes seconds for someone to walk by and slip a phone or wallet into a coat pocket. The thieves often dress like students and carry a back pack so they blend in, and we don't realize they don't belong here."
Merolli shared some of the measures she and her staff take when incidents like this occur, which Karen Reilly, Interim Director of Library Services, stated, "is protocol in all of the library spaces on campus." Student employees are encouraged to be alert to those coming and going. It is unrealistic to stop everyone who leaves the library to verify their belongings, but even if someone did look suspicious, student employees are discouraged from stopping the individual. However, they are instructed, "to get a description and report what they saw or suspect to Public Safety," said Merolli.
"A helpful description includes gender, height, weight, build and coloring (skin, hair, and eyes) because these attributes are less likely to be changed quickly or frequently," shared Merolli.
The library staff reminds all students to remember to be proactive about their belongings and be aware of their surroundings.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Crusader News Articles
Recent Crusader News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR CRUSADER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST CRUSADER NEWS
- GoHolyCross.com's Crusader of the Week: Michael Ortlieb, '16
- Payscale Ranks Holy Cross Ninth in Nation for Best Return on Investment
- Holy Cross's SAFER Takes a Stand Against Sexual Assault
- Astrologer Weekly: The Celtic Calendar
- Captain America and Patriotism: A Winter Solider Reflection
- The 'How I Met Your Mother' Finale: Why it Worked
- Vogue Madness
RECENT CRUSADER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy
- AARP Offers Tools for Caregivers
- Getting the Best Price for Your House to Help Finance...
- Why Purchase a Fishing License?